How to prepare a flock
- No antibiotic treatment for at least 10 days
(thus significantly reducing the risk of a false negative result)
- Each swab should be taken separately.
(thus we do not transmit pathogenic microorganisms from infected birds to other individuals and, in addition, we are able to determine what percentage of the study population is infected)
- In order to properly diagnose the herd, we select approximately 10% of the population for testing, but no less than 4 individuals.
(e.g. having 50 youngsters, we test 5 of them; having 16 breeding birds, we test 4 of them)
- Swabs are best taken on an empty stomach.
- Faeces are collected in a sterile container, which can be purchased from a pharmacy.